In Her Shoes Home
Top 5 Takeaways from The Fashion and Beauty Summit
Photo Credit: Bruce Turner Photography
If you follow me on social (@inhershoesblog), you know that I recently spoke on a “Business of Blogging” panel and hosted a “She Did That.” sneak peek at The Fashion and Beauty Summit in Detroit. Over a week has passed and I’m still on a high from my GMC-powered experience!
Photo Credit: Bruce Turner Photography
First and foremost, it was genuine. Everyone I met at The Fashion and Beauty Summit cared. About their work, each other, and our community of Black women building brands and legacies. People were focused and engaged in the moment, not the outcome or what comes next. All of that culminated in a spirit and energy that was uplifting and empowering, even spiritual. As a Midwestern girl at heart, I enjoyed every bit of love and hospitality the event producer, Kimberly M. Dobine, poured into the details. From glam squad photoshoots with Bruce Turner Photography to VIP events hosted at Detroit is the New Black, Kimberly and her team rolled out the red carpet the entire weekend. While words will never truly capture the moment, I’d like to share with you my top 5 takeaways from The Fashion and Beauty Summit hosted by Posh and Popular:
(L-R) Kimberly M. Dobine, Founder of Posh and Popular & Gwen Jimmere, Founder of NATURALICIOUS. Photo credit: Bruce Turner Photography
- Collaboration over competition is key. Gwen Jimmere, the beauty behind NATURALICIOUS, talked about collaborating with “competitors.” When beautypreneur, Pamela Jenkins of Koils by Nature locked in her first, major retail partnership, she brought her girl and fellow hair care brand founder, Gwen, along for the ride. Pamela and Gwen’s “we can get this money together!” attitude is definitely an approach more of us need to take in business. Why? Because we truly are stronger together.
(L-R) Renae Bluitt of In Her Shoes and “She Did That.” & Melissa Butler of The Lip Bar
- Melissa Butler of The Lip Bar shared her thoughts on how oftentimes we see people with opportunities, but never stop to think about how much the opportunity cost them and what they sacrificed to get there. Entrepreneurship is one of the most challenging journeys many of us have ever taken in our lives. While the rewards are great, sometimes the risks and sacrifices made are even greater.
Romance Cox of heycurlie.com
- With over 98k followers on IG and plenty of influence both on and offline, Romance Cox of heycurlie.com stressed the importance of not expecting a check each and every single time an opportunity is presented. Instead, focus on building quality relationships that have the potential to pay off with bigger and better collaborations in the future.
(L-R) Anika Jackson and Kelli Coleman of The Ten Nail Bar
- Kelli Coleman discussed the power of partnering with someone you share common goals and values with, but who also has strengths and talents you don’t possess. Her business partner, Anika Jackson, is an operations powerhouse while Kelli brings a wealth of knowledge in the areas of marketing and social media. Together, they’ve built downtown Detroit’s first luxury nail experience, The Ten Nail Bar, and are making substantial contributions to the revitalization of the city they call home.
- Last but certainly not least, I learned that keyless entry is the way to go! My friends at GMC consistently fuel my hustle as She Did That’s official automotive partner. Thanks to their Maven car sharing app, I explored the Motor City in style with the 2017 GMC Acadia equipped with all the technology my little heart desired. A woman with drive can never be slowed down, taken off her path, or put in park – especially when her ride comes equipped with cool features like keyless entry that make life easier to navigate!
Are YOU ready to experience the magic that is the Maven car sharing app? We’ve got you covered! The newest cars with the latest technologies? Check. The most competitive prices? Check. Use the INHERSHOES code for 20% off your first ride. Must book by 12.31.17.
Many, many thanks to Kimberly M. Dobine (Posh and Popular) + Juanita Davis and Iman Jefferson (General Motors) for making The Fashion and Beauty Summit weekend such an awesome experience!