Top 5 Quotable Moments from Black Girls Rock!
(L-R) Tracee Ellis Ross, Beverly Bond, Regina King
Am I the only one who woke up this morning with “This is why I ROCK!” on repeat in my head? Never before in the history of television have we seen Black women and girls CELEBRATED and uplifted this way. Black Girls Rock! founder Beverly Bond, in partnership with BET, has brought her love and respect for Black women – which by the way has been going strong for years, long before the cameras were rolling – to the masses. For three years straight, I’ve had the honor of attending the taping of Black Girls Rock! here in New York City. Each and every time, without fail, I walk away from the experience feeling like I can conquer the world! Watching the show air on television just days later underscores those feelings of empowerment. Last night, Black girls across America were affirmed, loved, embraced and EMPOWERED via mainstream pop culture thanks to Beverly Bond’s grand vision. I laughed. I cried. I took mental notes. Each honoree’s acceptance speech was heartfelt, tear-filled and packed with quotable moments we’ll carry for years. Here are just a few of my favs:
1. “Tonight, our honorees remind us to recommit ourselves to the collective duty of rebuilding our village. We must lift as we climb!” – Beverly Bond
2. “Never let anyone tell you that you should stand behind them. You stand in front…” – Queen Latifah
3. “Even if nobody else sees you, I SEE YOU. We are worth protecting and we are worth loving.” – Mara Brock Akil
4. “I am Sojourner. I am Harriett. I am Ameena Matthews!” – Ameenah Matthews
5. “They told us we’d be champions; we believed them.” – Venus Williams on her parent’s unwavering encouragement
To learn more about Black Girls Rock! and to support this beautiful movement visit www.blackgirlsrockinc.com.