The Greatest Love of All
Happy Valentine’s Day! This is the day that everyone expresses love for significant others, crushes, friends and family but what about ourselves? The warm and fuzzies flowing in our lives on February 14th should simply be a reflection of the love expressed to ourselves daily. While you’re out declaring your feelings for others, don’t forget to celebrate the love you have for YOU. Love of self is the greatest love of all!
In honor of St. Valentine’s Day, here are 10 quick and easy steps to loving yourself:
1. Accept and love yourself for who you are. Flaws and all!
2. Gain a greater understanding of yourself mentally, physically and spiritually.
3. Counter-productive relationships (personal or professional) and draining friendships with negative people are all toxic, energy-suckers. Love yourself enough to know when to walk away. Take care of your first priority, which is YOU. Remember, when one door closes, another one opens and it’s usually an upgrade!
4. Disappointed in your surroundings? Be the change you want to see in the world. It starts with you.
5. Every morning before you start your day say, “I love you!” to yourself.
6. Take care of your body. Learn about nutrition. What kind of fuel does your body need to have optimum energy? Cherish and revere the temple you live in.
7. Praise yourself. Criticism breaks down the inner spirit. Praise uplifts it. Feed yourself positive energy as much as you can and remember it’s a process. Sometimes you’ll falter by slipping into old, self-destructive habits but don’t beat yourself up. Instead, remind yourself that the learning curve is never straight and get back on track!
8. Attitude of gratitude. Repeat after me: I am BLESSED. Whatever struggles you may be dealing with you are still blessed. Make a list of all the things you appreciate in your life: family, friends, health, a fab career, home, the sun, morning walks. See how quickly you’re reminded of life’s beauty.
9. Know your love language. How do you receive love? The five love languages are physical touch, quality time, affirmation, gifts, and acts of service. Check out “The Five Love Languages” by Gary Chapman to discover your love language, your man’s love language and your child’s love language.
10. Do it now. Don’t wait until (insert list excuses here) to start showing yourself a little love. Work on being the best YOU you can be daily.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
x’s and o’s,