In Her Shoes Home
How to Make 2017 Your FLYEST Year Yet!
Just in time for 2017’s much anticipated arrival, I’ve tapped into the minds of some of the most brilliant #goaldiggers I know to see how they recommend making the absolute most out of the 365 days ahead. Today on In Her Shoes, seven goddesses from all walks of life are offering up seven powerful tips on how to make 2017 your FLYEST year yet:
Tai Beauchamp | Host of The Game Show Network’s “Window Warriors” & Founder of @thetailife | @taibeau
1. Spend committed time in solitude. While the New Year is a time of festive activities and celebration, be sure to take a day or two to write, reflect, and just be. Also, don’t forget to call or write notes to people that you hope to align with more during the upcoming year.
Claire Sulmers | Founder & Editor-in-Chief, @fashionbombdaily + Author of “The Bomb Life” | @clairesulmers
2. I love to kick off every year with resolutions! It sounds cliché, but setting goals, for me, is key to setting the year off right. I don’t just say I’m going to do something — I write my goals down in a prominent place so that I can see them when I wake up and when I go to sleep. Then, I resolve to do one thing, every day, to get me closer to my goal. This hasn’t failed me yet. One of my goals for 2016 was to write a book, and I did it! For 2017, my goal is to take the book on an international tour, touching every corner of the globe. The final part of setting goals is to make them known so that others can hold you accountable. Trust me, it works! I’ll be sure to check back in next year to let you know how I did.
Lita Lewis | Fitness Expert & Motivational Life Coach | @followthelita
3. We live in an era where we so easily equate the flashiest, shiniest, most expensive things in life with having a high quality of life. We are mistaken. There is no tangible substitute for having a truly rich life. Possessions do not equal happy, not even close. I encourage you to let go of the desire to acquire “things” in this coming new year, instead focus your energies towards living an experience-rich life. Commit to an experience, a journey, a vacation that you’ve only dreamed about, or perhaps even feared. Experience brings endless wisdom, love, and freedom. I wish that for you!
Gia Peppers | On-Air Talent & Entertainment Journalist: BET.com, ESSENCE, E!, NBA & Hot 97 | @giapeppers
4. For me, 2016 was a year of making mistakes and “failing up.” A lot of the decisions I made did not turn out the way I expected them to — some were for the better and others weren’t. Still, in order to start 2017 on a productive note, I am going to make my mistakes (or lessons) work for me instead of against me. If you want to join, reflect on your biggest mistakes from 2017 and write down what you learned from them. Whether it be increasing your attention to detail or getting a hold on time management, writing it down and seeing the phrase will help you accomplish what you need to do to start off your new year on the right foot. Even the bad stuff will work for your good, in the end. Here’s to fresh starts and new wins in 2017!
Lauren Maillian | Marketer, Brand Strategist, Startup Advisor & Bestselling Author | @laurenmaillian
5. We have to kick 2017 off by being at the top of our game! That means no slacking to make sure that you have the endurance to get through the first quarter with ease. I truly believe in putting yourself first and being in your best shape — mentally, emotionally and physically. So, let’s kick off 2017 by working out at increased levels of intensity, getting organized to be more efficient, and by eating homemade, healthy, and freshly cooked meals since we’re often on the go!
Felicia Walker Benson | Beauty Expert & Founder/Editor-in-Chief, ThisThatBeauty.com | @thisthatbeauty
6. My best tip is to lead with gratitude. Each day, there is SOMETHING to be grateful for. Start there. 2017 ain’t for the faint of heart. But, we should try our hardest every single day to lead with gratitude and embrace what is good in our lives.
Mel Burgos | World Traveler, Beauty & Style Influencer, Creator of #iamlettingGO campaign | @rock_yo_rizos
7. Put as much energy into yourself as you in do in others. It’s OK to treat yourself to something when you’re treating someone else. Make sure that as you’re pouring into another person’s cup, your cup is also full – if not overflowing. There will be times in life where we have to give ourselves permission to say “no” to others and “yes” to ourselves.
Here’s to a joyful, prosperous, and abundantly blessed 2017, beauties!